Kavala. The prefecture of Kavala has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The first inhabitants of the area around Kavala were Thracians. The seventh century BC came here Eretrians (from Euboea), then the Ionians and the Athenians. The former name of the town was Neapolis (= new town). Another important town in that period was Filipoi (Philippi). They were prosperous towns due to the fact that gold was mined in the Pangeo Mountain.
In the year 49, the Apostle Paul established the first Christian church in Europe. In 396 the town of Neapolis was completely destroyed by the Goths. Neapolis was rebuilt in the 5th century, but with the name Christoupolis.
During the Byzantine period, the town had great prosperity. In 1380 came the Turks who occupied the country, and the renamed the town Kavala. In the 16th Kavala had a good prosperity. From 1913 Kavala belongs again to Greece.
Kavala town is the capital of the prefecture. Kavala is built amphitheatrically at the foot of the mountain Simvolo. There are many characteristic remains of its old prestige over. The Kamares, the house of Mehmet Ali and Turkish building Imaret is definitely worth it.
To get a panoramic view of the city you should definitely visit the Prophet Ilia at the top of the hill. Also there are very nice beaches like that of Kalamitsa, Nea Iraklitsa, Perigiali and Nea Peramos.
To the airport of Kavala, 35 kilometers from the city of Kavala, there are daily flights from Athens (1 hour flight). There are direct flights from several European cities (charters). By boat from Piraeus and Rafina is also possible.