Iraklia - Cyclades (Greece)
Iraklia. (Heraklia or Irakleia) is a very small island south of Naxos with approximately 300 inhabitants. It's a nice place for a one-day trip or for people who seek rest. Peace and quiet and unspoiled beauty await visitors to the island of Iraklia.
Iraklia is part of the Small Cyclades. Small Cyclades islands are Schinoussa, Koufonissia and Donoussa, as well as others.
The port of Iraklia is Aghios Georgios. The capital of the island is the village of Panagia (Virgin Mary). The distance between Aghios Georgios and Panagia is just over four kilometers (2.5 mi), on a paved road. There is also a third hamlet, called Agioi Theodori, where only a few shepherds live. The three "villages" have been named after the churches that are located nearby.
Iraklia is accessible by boat from Athens, Naxos and Paros, but also with the smaller Cyclades ferry service "Skopelitis" that connects Naxos with the Small Cyclades islands.
- The caves of Aghios Ioannis and the church of Aghios Georgios are worth exploring.
- Very nice beaches - Vourkaria, Aghios Georgios and especially Livadi.
- Iraklia is suitable for hikers. The island covers only an area of 19 sqare kilometers. (7 mi2). Public transportation is not very well regulated so plan to travel everywhere by foot.
- There are some ruins of an ancient castle about a fifteen minute walk from the port.
Boat trip Naxos, Iraklia & Koufonissia
Boat trip Naxos Iraklia Koufonissia - ©JustGreece.com
Photo Gallery Iraklia - Photos of Cyclades
more photos of Iraklia»
Good to know
- Other names of the island are Rakliá or Arakliá.
- Formerly, the island was called Aghios Georgios.
- The highest peak of the island is Papas (419 meters/about 1,300 ft high).
- Although the island is very small (18 km/11 mi), 175 different bird species have been identified here during recent years. Many steep cliffs where erosion creates holes in the rocks provide safe spots for birds to make their nest. Notable are the many species of birds of prey.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Text edited by Katrina Butzer
Average temperature Iraklia
Iraklia in other languages
Iraklia: Where on the map is Iraklia located?
The map of Iraklia - ©JustGreece.com