Chrisopigi. Chrisopigi literally means golden source. Chrisopigi is located in the south of the island of Sifnos, eight kilometers (5 mi) south of the capital, Apollonia, and between the resorts of Faros and Platys Gialos.
Built on the grey, rocky peninsula is the eponymous white convent; creating one of the most beautiful and impressive Cycladic landscapes. Called the Monastery of the Holy Mother Chrisopigi (Moni Panagias Chrisopigis), it was founded in the year of 1615 on the same spot as an older church. It has a spectacular icon of the patron saint of the island, the Holy Mother. Her feast is Ascension Day. On that day, elaborate ceremonies and parties are held on the island.
Chrisopigi lies on the route of Apollonia to Platys Gialos. Look for a road sign, just off the coast, which indicates the direction to the monastery.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Edited by Katrina Butzer