Kastro - Sifnos (Greece)
Kastro. Kastro on the Greek island of Sifnos, is located east of Apollonia and is one of the most beautiful villages of the Aegean Sea. It has been continually inhabited since the prehistoric period. The village lies on a grey, rocky hill, close to the sea.
From medieval times until the year 1836, Kastro (castle) was capital of Sifnos. Beginning in the 14th century, the village has acted as a kind of fortress. The outer walls of the houses form the walls of a fortified settlement. The old entrances to the castle are still being used. Once towers stood here. Local excavation has revealed that people lived here as far back as the Bronze Age.
Sights Kastro, Sifnos
- The Panagia Eleousa church from the 17th century with a beautiful wooden iconostasis.
- There are several churches, all built in the 16th or 17th century, such as the church of Aghios Nikolaos, Agia Ekaterini, Aghios Ioannis.
- The churches of the seven martyrs, on a rock outside the village, close to the sea.
- The church of Panagia Poulati, slightly farther north, in a beautiful setting by the sea.
- The archaeological museum.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Edited by Katrina Butzer
Photo Gallery Sifnos - Photos of Sifnos
more photos of Sifnos»
Weather forecast Kastro (Sifnos)
Average temperature Kastro
Kastro in other languages
Sifnos: Where on the map is Kastro located?
The map of Sifnos