The Panathinaiko stadium (former Athens Olympic Stadium, also known as Kalimarmaro for its beautiful marble = kalo marmaro) is situated opposite the National Garden on Vassilis Olgas way. Here in 1896 the first modern Olympic Games took place. The stadium was originally made of wood in 330 BC and the Panathenaic Games were held then in this stadium. Later it was Herodes Atticus who financed the marble structure. When Pierre de Coubertin founded the modern Olympic Games, Georgios Averof ensured the financing of the now dilapidated Olympic Stadium and again placed in marble.