Aghios Georgios Valsamitis. The monastery of Aghios Georgios Valsamitis, also called Valsamitis, is located three kilometers (2 mi) south of Amorgos town on the route to Arkesini. According to tradition, in the 8th century, an icon of St. George was found here and so the residents built a church in this location. Valsamos or Varsamos (spearmint), containing fragrant and medicinal elements grows in this area. Hence, the name Aghios Georgios Valsamitis is used.
During the Byzantine period, the church was transformed into a nunnery. Later it became a branch of the convent Chozoviotissa. In the year 1757 the monastery was closed after the last nun was deceased. This nun is buried under the floor of the church. In 2011, however, the monastery was reopened and now one nun, Irini, takes care of everything. We were lucky to meet her and speak with her during our visit to the monastery. There is a well in the church. According to the legend, in antiquity, a water oracle and an Apollo Temple were located here. The frescos in the church are from the 17th century or even earlier.