Tyrnavos. Tyrnavos (Tirnavos) is a town located in the prefecture Larissa (region Thessaly). The town is built near the foothills of Melouna mountain, right on the bank of river Titarisios.
Tyrnavos is a rural town that produces, among other things, the famous OUZO OF TYRNAVOS. The town has a high standard of living and a high cultural and social standard, as well. The carnival of Tyrnavos is one of the most popular carnival celebrations of Greece. Here is the fountain of Tyrnavos (Vrysi Tyrnavou), an artificial lake that constitutes a traditional recreation ground for the inhabitants of the surrounding areas and an important biotope of migratory birds.
The city was founded in the 12th century and flourished in the 18th century. During the Ottoman occupation, the metropolitan was based here. Later it became the place where the pasha of Thessaly settled. In the 17th century there was a school with historical reputation. On the hill of the region there can be seen the chapel of Agia Anna and a war monument built as a tribute to the soldiers killed in the battle of Melouna and Deleria ( April 11, 1897).
Text: Jorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Text edited by Katrina Butzer