Ithaca - Ionian Islands (Greece)
Ithaca. Ithaca is one of the Ionian Islands, it is located to the south of the island Lefkada (Lefkas) in the northeast of Cephalonia. The capital of this elongated island covers an area of 96 sq.km., the population of the island is 3,000 inhabitants, the capital is Vathy.
The island has gathered its name from Ithacos who was the first resident of the island. The name of the island is known since antiquity, it was mentioned in the Odyssey. Ithaca is blessed with a beautiful coast with many bays and capes. Very beautiful is the bay of Frikes.
The most northern cape of the island is Cape Melissa, while the southernmost cape Agios Andreas is. The length of the coastline is about 100 km. The peak of Nirito Mountain is on 806 meters altitude and Merovigli on 669 meters.
One of the characteristic of the island is the barren land and the scarcity of water, which is like a stumbling stone for the progress of agriculture. The island is economically mainly braced by tourism and fishery.
Photo Gallery Ithaca - Photos of Ionian Islands
more photos of Ithaca»
Sights and tips Ithaki
- Kioni, a traditional village with a beautiful harbor where many yachts moor in the summer. The bay's entrance is decorated by three half-ruined mills.
- Ithaca / Vathy is the capital of the island and has since 1982 declared as a traditional fortified place. It has a natural bay of unparalleled beauty with the islet "Lazereto" in the middle.
- The Nymphon cave which is also called "Marmarospilia" (=Marble Cave). The cave has two entry points, one for the Gods and one for the mortals. It consists of interesting stalactites.
- Abbey Katharon is dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Kathari, the patron Saint of the island and contains a valuable icon of the Virgin Mary and a bell tower with views to the port of Ithaca.
- The Church of Kimiseos Theotocou. The church was built in the twelfth century is an ornament for the village. It has beautiful frescoes and a Venetian bell tower.
- The Loizos cave. It has been a place where the gods worshiped during the first Greek civilization, in the bay of Gallipoli, where an ancient underwater city is gone.
- Karaiskakis' house: A small portion of the stone house has been preserved in Kioni where Georgios Karaiskakis, the hero of the Greek Revolution of 1821, has lived.
- Paliochora: from Perachori, a path leads to the ruins of the medieval town Paliochora where churches with Byzantine icons are located.
Good to know: Ithaca is a small island with a glorious history which is known all around the world because it was the homeland of Odysseus, the hero of Homer's Odysseus.
How to get on Ithaca?
Ithaca is daily connected by ferry twith Cephalonia, Lefkada (Lefkas), Patra (Peloponnese) and in the prefecture Aetoloakrnania. Ithaca has 2 ports, Vathy and Piso Aetos, both connected with Sami and Patras. Piso Aetos is also connected to Fiskardo of Kefalonia, to Vassiliki of Lefkada and Astakos of Aetolokarnania (Greek mainland – Central Greece). Ferries connect also Frikes to Fiskardo, Vassiliki and Nydri (Lefkada).
Average temperature Ithaca
Foto's Ithaca - Ithaca in beeld
more photos of Ithaca»
Ithaca in other languages
Ithaca: Where on the map is Ithaca located?
The map of Ithaca