Nisyros - Dodecanese (Greece)
Nisyros. Nisyros is a small volcanic island between Kos and Tilos. In ancient times it was known as Porphyris. Mythology claims that Nisyros was united with Leros, and when Poseidon was chasing the giant Polyvotis, he slit the two islands apart.
The capital and port of Nisyros is Mandraki, located in the northwest at the foot of a steep hill. Nisyros is 41 square kilometers (16 mi2) and the total length of the coastline is 28 kilometers (17 mi).
Mandraki, both the capital and port of Nisyros looks more like a large village than a small town. The white houses with flat roofs here are striking. The castle of Spiliani, formerly controlled by the Knights of Rhodes, is located above Mandraki on a high rock.
Photo Gallery Nisyros - Photos of Dodecanese
more photos of Nisyros»
Sights and tips Nisyros
- The ethnological museum of Mandraki.
- Paleokastro, the ruins of the old town and Acropolis.
- A mountain village named Emporios, 8 kilometers (5 mi) southeast of Mandraki.
- Not far from Emporios is the monastery of Panagia Kira on the top of hill. The view from the top is magnificent.
- The volcano of Nisyros. Its crater is 260 meters (850 ft) wide and 30 meters (100 ft) deep.
- The seaside town Paloi, 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) east of Mandraki.
- The Monastery of Spiliani in Mandraki.
- The nearby island Giali.
- The village of Nikia, built at an altitude of 400 meters (1,300 ft), with a nice view to the volcano.
Events that are celebrated here are:
- On August 15 at the Monastery of Spiliani. (August 15: Assumption)
How to get to Nisyros?
Nisyros is connected with the ports of Piraeus (Athens), Astypalaia, Halki, Kalymnos, Kastelorizo, Kos, Naxos, Paros, Rhodes, Symi and Tilos. There is also a local connection to the port of Kardamena (Kos).
Text: Jorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Text edited by Katrina Butzer
Average temperature Nisyros
Nisyros in other languages
Nisyros: Where on the map is Nisyros located?
The map of Nisyros - ©JustGreece.com