ANASTASA. The church of Anastasa is located on the route Skiathos town-Kastro, a few kilometres before Kastro. The road here is not paved everywhere, so beware. The church has been given a historical value as the writer Papadiamantis in one of his books used it as the title. Papadiamantis wrote this book in 1892. The beautiful church was built with stone and ceramic tiles. Surrounded by olive groves and sycamore trees, the sunlight can hardly reach the church, as it is so dense. Above the door of the church plates are cemented in the wall, it looks like “Delft blue”. The bell of Agia Anastasa hangs in an olive tree and not in a church tower. Before the church are the ruins of an ancient tower. From this tower, the Greeks gave already in antiquity signals to the other islands of the Sporades and Pelion on the mainland. In this way, they communicated with each other and it was possible to transfer messages fast. This took place in the evening, and the signals were given by torch flame.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften Gee