Aperi. (Appèri). Aperi is a mountain village on the Greek island of Karpathos. It is located in the middle of a green area, eight kilometers (5 mi) north of Pigadia (Karpathos’ capital city). The village is hidden behind the mountains and is not visible from the sea.
Aperi, which today is the seat of the Archbishop of Karpathos and Kasos, was the capital of the island from 1700 to 1892. Aperi was built in the Middle Ages when the inhabitants of Pigadia were looking for a safe place to escape the attacks of pirates.
A mountain stream that provides rich vegetation flows through the village, especially in winter. The village is scenic and well cared for. From the village there are several paths that lead to the sandy beaches of Achata and Kyra Panagia. Other noteworthy places around Aperi are Mertona and Katodio where water flows through the villages. Just outside of Aperi towards Volada are the ruins of three medieval castles.