Kotsinas. Three kilometers north of Repanidi, in the bay of Pournia, is the beach of Kotsinas where the sea is very shallow. They call this place also Kotsinos. Besides the beach, on the other side of the bay, is the fishing port of Kotsinas. Here lie the ruins of a medieval fortress from the year 1361 on a low hill. Within the walls of the fortress is the church Zoodochou Pigis located. Here stands also the statue of the Greek heroine ‘Maroula’ who fought heroically in the 15th century against the Turks.
The port of Kotsinas was in the Middle Ages an important trading port. Remember, Lemnos is an important place in the Aegean Sea, at the entrance to the strait of Bosporus.
The name Kotsinos (Kotsinas) is derived from the name Kokkinos that means "red" The red earth is in fact very dominant in this region. Between Repanidi and Kotsinos was the 'Lemnian earth’, a country where a special kind of red clay was mined which was used for healing and also to make terracotta objects. With this clay people covered their face and body, to cure all sorts of ailments. The Latins had a different name for this, Terra Sigilatta. The term 'terra sigillata' refers to a medicinal clay which first was discovered on the island of Lemnos.
At the harbour of Kotsinas, alongside the quay, are now three restaurants where good Greek food and sea food are offered.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften Gee