Nea Skioni. Nea Skioni is a coastal town on the southwestern coast of the Kassandra peninsula in the prefecture of Halkidiki. Nea Skioni lies a 100 kilometers (62 mi) from Thessaloniki and 70 kilometers (43 mi) from the capital of Halkidiki, Polygyros. Nea Skioni is a tourist resort with many hotels and a beautiful beach with many water sports available. It is located in a nice green with a lot of pine trees.
Nea Skioni is a relatively new town. It was built in 1918. The inhabitants came here from neighboring villages and the now dilapidated mountain village Tsaprani.
The name Skioni was given from the ancient city Skioni, which was located two kilometers (1.2 mi) away. Colonists from the Peloponnese founded the ancient city in the 4th century BC. The ancient city sat exactly on the spot where the church of Panagia Faneromeni is now, southeast of Nea Skioni. A marble icon of the Holy Mother is kept in this church.
In Nea Skioni are many restaurants, cafés and bars as well as many tourist shops. The village has a harbor where fishing boats moor. Seafood restaurants serve very fresh seafood. Every year the feast of anchovies (gavros) is celebrated here. The festival lasts three days and there is plenty of music and dancing. The wine is free for the guests and is offered by the municipality of Nea Skioni.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Edited by Katrina Butzer