Paleochori. The mountain village Paleochori lies 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) east of Arnaia and 82 kilometers (51 mi) from Thessaloniki. The village is located at 550 meters (1800 ft) altitude and has 1500 inhabitants. It is situated where several roads intersect. Neochori is only three kilometers (1.8 mi) east of Paleochori; 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) north lies Megali Panagia and 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) west lies Arnaia.
Many beautiful old houses are preserved in the traditional style. The village and its surroundings are full of stately oak, beech and chestnut trees. It is very colorful.
The village square is the heart of the Paleochori. It is the place where everyone meets. It is a typical, traditional village square with a large plane tree in the middle surrounded by typical Greek cafes. Most residents of Paleochori are farmers and shepherds. It is said that Alexis Zorbas (Zorba the Greek) lived here for 22 years.
- The church Pammegiston Taxiarchon (Most Great Archangels) with beautiful murals and a statue of the former Ecumenical Patriarch Ioakim the 3rd stands at the entrance of the church. Also there is an icon of the Archangel Michael dating from the 16th century. According to legend, he carried out miracles. There is also a replica of the Holy Mother Gorgoepikoou whose original painting is located in the Mount Athos monastery Dochiariou.
-The Neposi area, ideal for walkers. Here are also the ruins of a Byzantine castle probably abandoned in the 14th century.
- The waterfall and the gorge nearby the village of Peristeri.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Edited by Katrina Butzer