Therissos - Chania Prefecture (Greece)
Therissos. Therissos is a beautiful mountain village south of Chania city and it lies on the island of Crete. It is situated north of the White Mountains (Lefka Ori), 16 kilometers from Chania town and is accessible within half an hour by car. North of Therissos is the same gorge (6 kilometers), which runs through the village of Mournies. They call this gorge also the "Eleftherios Venizelos" gorge. In Therissos live just over 100 people, many of them are farmers. The village is in the middle of a beautiful natural setting. Therissos has played a very important role in Cretan history; in 1905 it was Eleftherios Venizelos who announced the rebellion here to liberate the prince of Crete (Georgios) to achieve the union with the rest of Greece. The building is still there and has been transformed into a museum. In the museum there are all kinds of personal belongings to see.
Photo Gallery Chania Prefecture - Photos of Chania Prefecture
more photos of Chania Prefecture»
Around the village there are several places of interest:
- The statue of a local hero Chali who came here and fought against the Turks in 1821
- The monument in memory of Chrysi Tsepeti who was killed here during the Turkish occupation by the Turks.
- The stone bridge at the site of the"Treis Ekklisies" (= three churches) at the entrance to the gorge.
- The caves Kato Sarakina, two kilometers north of Therissos
- The Museum of the National Resistance against the Germans in World War II
- The historical and ethnological museum where among other things to see are also costumes from 1905. Every year on August 15th in Therissos there is a traditional folk festivals to honour the Blessed Mother.
Text: Jorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften
Weather forecast Therissos (Chania Prefecture)
Average temperature Therissos
Therissos in other languages
Chania Prefecture: Where on the map is Therissos located?
The map of Chania Prefecture (©JustGreece.com)